Graduate Assistants (GAs) must be registered as full-time students whether they hold a full-time appointment or a part-time appointment. To be considered full-time, a student must be registered for a minimum of nine (9) credits in each Fall and Spring semester. The student must be registered in courses that lead toward his/her degree.
(proposal is finished and candidacy paperwork approved by the Graduate School)
ENROLL IN 9 CREDITS OF 899
Doctoral dissertation research (899) (for students who have reached the doctoral candidacy) is a fixed (9) credit course (billed at 2/9 rate). You do not need to register for any additional courses.
- Coursework & Research Credits
GRAD 600 is variable credits between zero (0) and three (3) credits, so students who register for this course must register for a minimum of six (6) credits in addition to this course.
- Pre-candidacy doctoral dissertation research (898) (3 credits)
- GRAD 600 (0-3 credits)
- COURSEWORK (3-6 credits)
- Research Credits Only
GRAD 601 is fixed at five (5) credits, so students who register for this course must register for a minimum of four (4) credits in addition to this course.
- Pre-candidacy doctoral dissertation research (898) (4 credits)
- GRAD 601 (5 credits)
- Not registered for additional coursework
NOTES ABOUT GRAD 600/601& 898
- GAs are not billed tuition or fees for GRAD 600, GRAD 601, or GRAD 603;
- GAs receive credit towards full-time status from GRAD 600 and GRAD 601;
- GRAD 600, GRAD 601, and GRAD 603 do not appear on transcripts;
- GRAD 600 (3 credits), GRAD 601 (5 credits), and GRAD 603 (2 credits) will appear at registration to be for 0 credits. However, GAs are receiving the proper number of credits (3, 5, and 2, respectively);
- Pre-candidacy doctoral dissertation research (898) (for students who have not reached the doctoral candidacy stage) is a variable (3-9) credit course (billed at 1/3 rate), based on the amount of involvement in the University research program.