Undergraduate FAQ

Technology Requirements

Q. Does the Chemical Engineering department require incoming students to have their own laptop computer?

A. Yes. See full details


back to top

Undergraduate Advising

A. Have you passed the gateway requirements including ENCH 215?

YES: If you have passed the gateway requirements including ENCH 215, the advisor list is posted in the hallway outside of ENCH 314. Please consult the bulletin board to determine who to see for academic advising.

NO: If you are taking the gateway requirements including ENCH 215, students are advised in the College of Engineering and Information Technology  Once students have passed the above requirements, their advising folders are automatically sent to the CBEE department where they are assigned an advisor.

A. YES! Students must meet with their academic advisor each semester to get permission to register for the upcoming semester. Sign up sheets are posted in the hallway outside ENG 314 for students to make an appointment with their advisor.

A. The best person to start with is your advisor. He/she will be able to answer most of your questions and if not, can direct you to the appropriate resource.

A. All tracks lead to the B.S. in Chemical Engineering and require the same chemical engineering core classes. The primary differences are in the science courses and technical electives that are taken. Your advisor can help you decide which track is right for you.

See the ENCH Undergraduate Curriculum chart

A. Yes, however switching tracks may result in delayed graduation depending on when the switch is made. Talk with your advisor if you are considering a change in tracks.

A. Yes. The most common minors our students get are Math, Chemistry and Biology. These minors require an extra three to four classes beyond the major requirements depending on the track you are in. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for minor requirements and talk with your advisor for more information.

A. Yes, but you must follow the UMBC guidelines for doing so. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for details.

A. The Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering Department strictly adheres to the prerequisite policy. You must earn a “C” or better in all prerequisites before you may enroll in an ENCH designated course. If you are missing a prerequisite or have not earned a “C” or better in the prerequisite class, you will not be given permission for the subsequent course.


back to top


Q. What scholarship opportunities exist for CBEE Majors?

A: The following scholarships are the most common scholarships that Chemical, Biochemical & Environmental Engineering students are awarded. Students are strongly encouraged to contact UMBC’s Office of Financial Aid for detailed information on the opportunities available to them.

back to top

Internships & Research

A. The Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering Department STRONGLY encourages ALL students to seek summer employment related to the major. There are many industrial opportunities for students at all levels. University employment fairs and the Career Center are good places to start. There are also numerous web sites to aid you in finding summer employment.

A. Undergraduate research is encouraged and is especially important for students who may choose to continue on to graduate school. Research can be performed on campus either for pay or for credit and can be done throughout the calendar year. You should talk with your advisor for more information. Undergraduate research can also be done off campus at another university during the summer. The National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) sites are highly recommended. UMBC’s Office of Undergraduate Research is also a great resource for finding off campus research opportunities.

Read about the Undergraduate Reesearch and Internship

Explore the Undergraduate Research Profiles for Chemical Engineering majors.

Read about awards and recognition received by Chemical Engineering undergraduate researchers.



back to top

Graduate School and Careers

Q. I want to go to graduate school. What can I do to prepare?

A. To get into graduate school, you will need strong grades (most universities require a minimum of 3.0 GPA), GRE scores and recommendations. Thorough preparation for the GREs is strongly encouraged. Most universities require three recommendation letters, so get to know your professors. The better a professor knows you, the better letter he/she can write. Undergraduate research is a great way to get to know a professor and also provides invaluable experience.

The Journal of Chemical Engineering Education (2019-10-09) published an article to guide students through the decision making process about whether or not graduate school is a good next a choice about graduate school. The article is available online.

Q. I’m getting ready to graduate. How can I find a job?

A. START EARLY. Most employers begin the hiring process early in the fall semester for employment starting the following summer. If you wait until spring to look for a job, many opportunities will have passed you by. You should take advantage of on campus resources such career fairs and the Career Services Center. Visit the Career Resources page of this site to learn about the many web sites designed to help you find employment.

Q. What kind of starting salary can I expect?

A. According to the 2019 AIChE Salary Survey, “The median starting salary for chemical engineers beginning their careers is $68,000”. The  update in 2021 AIChE Salary Survey continues to be positive for Chemical Engineers, “Despite global economic decline, the chemical engineering profession has continued its overall trend of rising salaries. From 2002 onward, salaries for chemical engineers have almost consistently increased.”

back to top