CBEE offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees in two separate programs. Each program has a core curriculum of 12 credits.
Chemical & Biochemical Engineering (CENG)
The primary emphasis here is on biotechnology and biomedical engineering. The department takes full advantage of its strategic location in the Baltimore-Washington corridor and its proximity to many of the nation’s top biochemical companies, including Baxter, MedImmune, Life Technologies, AstraZeneca and GSK. The program’s research facilities include state-of-the-art laboratories equipped with modern fermentation, cell culture, separations, protein structure and materials characterization, biomaterials synthesis and other analytical equipment.
- Ph.D., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- M.S., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Biochemical Regulatory Engineering
Environmental Engineering & Water Resources (ENEN)
The primary emphasis is on water resources. Faculty carry out projects focused on water quality, watershed hydrology, wastewater treatment and storm water management.
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering – Exclusive focus environmental engineering and water resources
- M.S., Environmental Engineering – Exclusive focus environmental engineering and water resources
Graduate teaching and research assistantships are available to qualified candidates through the Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering program. Most PhD students admitted to the department are paid a stipend of $32,000/year plus tuition remission and health insurance.
Students seeking a Masters degree may find funding as a research assistant in a laboratory or as a TA in CBEE or another department on campus. However, it is the student’s responsibility to secure their own funding.
University fellowships may also be obtained. More information on funding opportunities can be found by visiting UMBC’s Graduate School website.
Faculty Research & Collaborations
Three thematic areas characterize our faculty’s research:
Faculty members in CBEE have many fruitful collaborations with local research centers, including the FDA, the NIH, the USGS, the University of Maryland School of Medicine and Johns Hopkins University.
Our students have continued to have successful careers in:
- Government (including NIST, USGS, US Naval Research Laboratory),
- Industry (including KIP Biopharma, AstraZeneca, Merck, Paragon Bioservices, GSK, Wyeth, Amgen, DSM and Lonza),
- Academia (including University of Alabama, Howard University, Colorado State University, and St. Louis University) and
- Consulting and Analysts (including DRG, Arcadis, Wolf Greenfield and Ramboll Environ).