UMBC’s Accelerated Program makes it possible to double-count up to 9 credits towards both your undergraduate and graduate coursework. You’ll save money and time as you further your academic career. Students applying to the BSMS program are not required to take the GRE examination. Acceptance into the BSMS program does not bind you to completing a graduate degree at UMBC.
Thesis, project and course-only options are available to students in the BSMS program. Course requirements in the BSMS program are the same as those listed for regular MS student. However, students in the BSMS program are allowed to count 9 credits of elective courses taken to fulfill their BS degree requirements toward the course requirements for the MS degree, provided that these courses are dual level 400/600 level courses and were taken at the 600-level.
Students in the thesis option should select a research advisor during the junior year and begin their research no later than the summer between the junior and senior years. For additional, program-specific details see the CBEE Department Graduate Handbook available on our Graduate Resources Page.
- Chemical Engineering major at UMBC (all tracks) or UMBC student with ENEN/CENG MS degree requirements.
- Cumulative grade point average is at least 3.0
- Major GPA is at least 3.0
3 semesters prior to Undergraduate Graduation
Complete all components of BSMS Application
- BSMS Application (Note: Signatures are NOT required for email submission. The department will route the documents for electronic signature. Also, the department will contact faculty listed to request a recommendation)
- Unofficial UMBC Transcript
For Fall admission to BSMS, apply by August 19
For Spring admission to BSMS, apply by December 15
Submit application materials to Graduate Program Coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Final 2 semesters of Undergraduate Studies
- Enroll in 9 credits of 600 level or higher courses.
- Complete Request for Approval for undergraduates to take courses for graduate credit (Due before Add\Drop Deadline).
- Complete Graduate School Application (January 1)
- Letter of Reference from a faculty member in the department
- Once students are admitted to the Graduate School and are enrolled, they must complete a Transfer of Credit form to transfer approved graduate credits taken as an undergraduate into the graduate program. Note that only the credits are transferred, not the grade received.
BSMS students are not graduate students until after they earn their undergraduate degree.