Skip to Main Content

Financial Support

Doctoral Students

Graduate teaching and research assistantships are available to qualified candidates through the Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Engineering program. Most PhD students admitted to the department are paid a stipend of $32,300/year plus tuition remission and health insurance.

Master’s Students

Students seeking a Master of Science in Environmental Engineering or Chemical Engineering may find funding as a research assistant in a laboratory or as a TA in CBEE or another department on campus. However, it is the student’s responsibility to secure their own funding.

Interdisciplinary Consortium for Applied Research in Ecology and Evolution (ICARE): Broadening Participation Across the Environmental Sciences in Baltimore HarborNational Science Foundation, Research Training (NRT) Grant



University fellowships may also be obtained. More information on funding opportunities can be found by visiting UMBC’s Graduate School website.

Research & Travel Grants are also provided via the Graduate Student Association.