CBEE students win regional AIChE Jeopardy competition
Team qualifies for National competition, four years running
UMBC chemical engineering students win first place in the 2023 Mid-Atlantic Regional AIChE ChemE Jeopardy Competition. Thus, qualifying for the 2023 National AIChE ChemE Jeopardy Competition in Orlando, FL in November as part of the AIChE National Conference. This is the fourth year in a row a UMBC team qualified for the National AIChE ChemE Jeopardy Competition.
Eighteen teams competed during the AIChE ChemE Jeopardy Mid-Atlantic Competition held at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA, including two teams from UMBC. After the preliminary rounds, the UMBC teams placed first and second in the semi-finals, tied at 9 points each. The semifinal round was a knockout round, and UMBC’s ‘Team One’ advanced to the finals. The final round of competition was between UMBC, Johns Hopkins University (2nd place) and Stony Brook University (3rd place).
The success of both teams is the result of consistent hard work and support from the teams’ faculty advisors are Dr. Neha Raikar and Dr. Mariajosé Castellanos as well as other students. Taylor deSilva, chemical engineering ‘23, is instrumental in preparing the teams for competition by organizing weekly practices including setting up sample game boards.
- Ethan Banks, chemical engineering, traditional track ‘24
- Paul Loberg, chemical engineering, biotechnology and bioengineering track ‘24
- Max Bobbin, chemical engineering, environmental engineering & sustainability track ‘23
- Catherine Wraback - chemical engineering, traditional track ‘23
- Pavan Umashankar, chemical engineering, biotechnology and bioengineering track ‘24
- Colin Jones, chemical engineering, biotechnology and bioengineering track ‘25
- Jacob Craft, chemical engineering, environmental engineering & sustainability track ‘24
- Zachary Bogart, chemical engineering, environmental engineering & sustainability track ‘23
UMBC CBEE students and advisor at the AIChE 2023 Mid-Atlantic Student Regional Conference, April 22-23
Photo Credit: Max Bobbin
Back to front; Pavan Umashankar, Paul Loberg, Caton , David Ni, Zachary Bogart, Ben Willing, Catherine Wraback, Jacob Craft, Colin Jones, Neha Sian, Dr. Neha Raikar, Sarah Donyaee, Afrah Ahmed, Ethan Banks, Max Bobbin.
AIChE Conference Chem-E Jeopardy Competition Bracket
UMBC teams placed 1st and 2nd in the Semi Finals round, tied at 9 points.
Posted: April 26, 2023, 9:08 AM